background

Friday, October 8, 2010

First Gig

My Grandpa Jim passed away last month and I played the piano at his funeral. He always wanted Jazz played at his funeral so I stepped up and volunteered to play. I really felt his presence while I played and it was an honor to be able to play at his funeral. Ever since then I have wanted to play at weddings, events, and small parties. I also wanted to do this to earn some extra money. I posted an add on Craigslist. My first gig was last Tuesday night in Park City. It was at a private home overlooking all of Park City--it was huge! The event was a fundraiser for the Republican Party. Jimmy Shea was there (Olympic gold medalist from SLC 2002 who lives in PC) along with top people running for office. Jimmy Shea auctioned off a day of skiing at Deer Valley with him and three other Olynpians for four. The winner paid $1100 for it.
I was so nervous to play! There were lots of people there and it was so loud and there was a bar so I don't think my mistakes were heard (hopefully). The biggest obstacle was my back--it hurt so bad after playing for an hour and I played for three. I brought 14 songs that I am decent at but it felt extremely redundant playing them over and over again. I wonder if the people there thought that too? At the end my "employer" paid me and said he'd like to hire me again. I gave him my card. Overall, I think for my first gig, it went well. Thank you Grandpa for giving me courage to try something new and exciting!

10 comments:

  1. Wow that sounds like some fancy gig! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so neat Lar! You are the best Jazz musician I know! What a great way to share your talents! Think of all the opportunities you could have playing for different groups of people. I bet your grandpa is proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! That's awesome Felly! I'm really glad it went well. You're going to be famous. Hurry I need your autograph quick!!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha you already have my autograph in your lie book silly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura you are my hero! Congrats on doing something new and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both my sister-in-laws are famous! I am so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you rock! I would be so afraid to try something new that I would NEVER have gone through with it. You are so brave. I want to make a t-shirt that says Laura's biggest fan and give people your card when they ask. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww thanks Andi, but please no shirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. im so proud of you. i was just reading a few notes you left me on the mission and you know what you are the same fearless girl i know and loved then as now! i hope i get to see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you've got guts. I am so glad it worked out well. If you create a website I will spread your business info around on facebook and amongst friends. Keep going for it!!

    ReplyDelete