background

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Catching up

My brother Dave recently got engaged and set the date for August 20-21 (reception on one day and marriage on another). Watching the two of them navigate wedding plans brings me back. Phil and I have been married just over a year now, May 1st 2009. To think we have been married over a year is hard to fathom. Here are some things I have learned that I will pass on to Dave and Jennica:
1. lower your expectations of housework and you will be pleasantly surprised
2. compromise on everything
3. avoid marrying your spouse during an annual sporting event such as the NBA playoffs
4. learn to like things they like (like watching the NBA playoffs or playing X box)
5. pick your battles

Okay so I make it sound like marriage is hard, well here are things I love about being married to Philip:
1. he is my best friend and I can tell him anything and everything and he won't judge me
2. we laugh so hard together often
3. I can be my complete self and he only makes fun of me a little
4. Philip can fix anything on the computer, phone, television, media player, monitor, ipad, and most items from ikea
5. he gives me back and foot massages on a daily basis and doesn't make me reciprocate
6. I absolutely LOVE shopping with Philip, he never makes me feel shoppers guilt, talks me into everything (unless it's from TJ Maxx or Ross, or Target, or DI....), and he actually is interested in what I am looking at (unlike most guys)
7. I have someone to help me through bad days
8. I love him

Going back to where I am at now, Philip and I two months ago moved out of our apartment at San Moritz (away from the crazy neighbor woman below who called the cops on us for walking around) and into my parents' basement. We are the "boomerang generation" so why not? the reason why we took this drastic measure is because our lease ended, and my parents were gracious enough to invite us to live in their basement while I attend the University of Utah to earn my masters degree in social work. We want to avoid student debt if possible so this sounded like a good plan. Philip and I both work full time now until I start school in the fall 2010. Philip works at Ticketmaster in IT and I work for Valley Mental Health with clients in foster care. I am sure I will be blogging more about my job so I can avoid constantly telling Philip all my crazy stories. This already feels therapeutic.

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to Dave and Jennica! We are all so excited for them and can't wait to be there on the big day!

    And Happy Anniversary to you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you became a blogger! Now I can feel like I am up to date on your life! My blog is kevinandjennythomas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. In reference to comment #4: so this means that Philip has an ipad? :)

    Glad you are enjoying married life. Being with someone you love makes life happier. I also liked the lowering the expectations of housework. Very true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your writing style. It comes across as honest and forthright as you are. I will authorize you to visit my blog. I agree that writing is theraputic...write on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are blogging. I love reading blogs too! I'll add you to my blog list so I can keep up to date with it

    ReplyDelete